Is your mattress smelling bad and you do not know what to do?
In this article, we will show you how to deodorize your mattress.
Sleep is an activity carried out by the body when it is at rest. During this period, the body relaxes, as well as releases waste products like sweat, body oils, urine, spittle, and millions of dead body cells. These activities encourage the growth of dirt, dust mites, allergens, as a result, a mattress accumulates moisture which can cause odors.
Mattresses get dirty and smelly with repeated use. Like clothes, they cannot be washed with a washing machine. As a result of their size, type, and nature. They require extra effort and care. This helps to enhance their durability and lifespan.
You should know that deodorizing your mattress is not as difficult as it seems. It is a step further from your mattress cleaning routine. You can wash your beddings at least once a week; it is also necessary to deodorize your mattress often.
To deodorize your mattress, remove the bed cover or topper. Vacuum it with a mattress vacuum. Mix equal part corn-starch and baking soda in a bowl. Add 15-25 drops of essential oils. Sieve with a sifter on the mattress. Leave for about 12-24 hours. Vacuum off the baking soda. Allow the mattress to air-dry.
Baking Soda is effective for deodorizing a mattress. It contains chemical compounds that help it to fight fungi, pest, mold, mildew, and odors on a mattress.
How to Deodorize a Mattress – Getting your Materials and Equipment Ready
To deodorize your mattress, you will need the following materials and equipment:
1. Mattress vacuum
2. Baking soda
3. White vinegar
4. Corn starch
6. Spray bottle and Nozzle
7. Sifter or Sieve
8. Mild detergent (optional to remove stains)
These materials and equipment depend largely on the choice or method of deodorization you decide to use. They will be discussed briefly below.
Mattress Vacuum Cleaner
It is good to vacuum your mattress often. There are specific vacuum cleaners for mattresses. They suck up dirt, mites, dust, and allergens from the surface of a mattress.
When getting a vacuum cleaner for your mattress, check for the size, suction power, noise, power, heat, and its effectiveness in removing dust mites, dust, dander, and bed bugs.
An upholstery cleaner can also be attached to a mattress vacuum to make it work effectively.
Though a baking and cooking agent, baking soda can still serve as a cleaning agent. It is effective for removing odors on a mattress.
It serves as an odor neutralizer and moisture absorber. It aids the freshness and whiteness of a mattress.
Vinegar is amazingly effective in removing odors and sanitizing a mattress. It is a mild acid that contains acetylic materials. It breaks icky build-ups. Vinegar is also helpful in killing molds, mildew, and dust mites.
Corn starch is the type of starch that is derived from maize grain. Surprisingly, it can also be used to deodorize a mattress.
It can be mixed with baking soda or used as a substitute for baking soda. It absorbs moisture, grease, and dirt from mattresses.
Essential oils are made up of natural oils extracted from plants. They have unique scents and fragrances that can be effective in neutralizing odors. Some examples of essential oils are:
1. Lemon oil
2. Lavender oil
3. Peppermint oil
4. Chamomile oil
6. Orange oil
7. Tea tree oil
10. Jasmine oil
Most essential oils derive their names from the plant they are extracted. They provide soothing fragrances that are strong to freshen your mattress. You can decide to combine two or more essential oils. This depends on your choice and taste.
Spray Bottle and Nozzle
A spray bottle is majorly used to spray deodorizing mixtures on a mattress. It regulates the quantity of liquid that is used.
Excess liquid can extend the drying time of your mattress and encourage the growth of mold, germs, and mildew on it.
It is therefore necessary to use a spray bottle. However, this is subject to your choice and convenience.
Sifter or Sieve
This is a fine mesh strainer that is used to separate lumps or unwanted particles from powdery substances.
You can use it to spray the mixture of baking soda and cornstarch on your mattress. It aids even the distribution of baking soda easier and effectively.
Mild Detergent (optional)
You can use a detergent that is not harsh; like a hand washing or dishwashing detergent. These detergents are enzyme-based which makes them effective for removing stains on a mattress.
Do not go for a detergent of low quality, as this can easily damage your mattress.
How Can You Deodorize a Mattress?
You can deodorize a mattress, by doing the following:
Step 1: Remove the bed cover, topper, or mattress protector. This gives free access to the mattress. It removes obstacles to reaching the mattress directly.
Step 2: Vacuum the top, sides, and bottom of the mattress. Ensure that no part of the mattress is left out. This will help to remove dirt, dust mite, dander, or allergens that are on the mattress.
Step 3: Mix equal parts cornstarch and baking soda in a bowl. You can as well use only baking soda.
Step 4: Add 15- 25 drops of essential oil, depending on your choice of fragrance.
Step 5: Use a sifter or sieve to sprinkle the mixture on the mattress. This process should be done systematically. Make sure every side of the mattress is covered with the mixture. This will enhance its effectiveness.
Step 6: Leave to sit for about 12-24 hours or overnight. This helps the baking soda to absorb more moisture and deodorize your mattress thereby leaving a soothing fragrance. You can also expose it to fresh air, if possible, sunlight.
Step 7: Vacuum Again with a mattress vacuum. This will effectively suck off the baking soda. Leaving your mattress clean and fresh.
Step 8: Air dry the mattress in a well ventilated and cool place. This will kill any remaining odor in the mattress.
Before following these steps, make sure you remove every stain by spot cleaning it. You can clean your mattress too.
Here are some detailed articles you may find useful:
- What is a Hybrid Mattress-Who’s this mattress suitable for?
- How to fix a sagging mattress
- How to clean memory foam
- How to sanitize a mattress
- How to wash a mattress pad
- How to clean a memory foam mattress topper
How to Deodorize a Mattress – 2 Basic Methods
You can deodorize your mattress by using two basic methods or techniques. They are:
1. Liquid Method
2. Powdered method
These methods have varying degrees of effectiveness when it comes to deodorizing a mattress. They require patience and systematic application. These methods will be discussed in detail as you read on.
This involves the use of liquid substances in deodorizing a mattress. This method is done by using a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar. When vinegar is mixed with water, it becomes amazingly effective. To use this method, do these:
1. Remove bed cover, mattress protector, or topper. Make sure the mattress is bare.
2. Pour an equal mixture of warm water and vinegar inside your spray bottle.
3. Vacuum the sides, top, and bottom of the mattress.
4. Spray the mixture sparingly or lightly over the surface and sides of the mattress. Make sure you do not over-wet it.
5. Allow drying in a cool and well-ventilated room. You can put on fans to aid quick drying.
6. Flip to the other side and do repeat the same process
This method should be done with utmost care. This is because if it is not properly done, it can cause awful odors on your mattress. You can also spray baking soda over the surface to absorb excess moisture from your mattress before using it.
This method is the most common and simplest. It involves using little or no liquid while deodorizing your mattress. It tends to be more effective in killing molds, mildews, and dust mites. It is done by using ingredients like baking soda, corn starch, and essential oils.
To use baking soda as an odor neutralizer or killer, follow these steps:
1. Remove mattress cover, topper, or protector
2. Vacuum the mattress all-round, that is, the sides, top, and bottom.
3. Use a sieve or sifter to spray it sparingly on your mattress. You can still spray it without a sifter. Make sure it covers the surface evenly.
4. Leave to sit for about 12 – 24 hours. This is because the longer it stays on the mattress, the more effective it is.
5. Vacuum it off with a hand-held vacuum cleaner. You can attach an upholstery cleaner to it.
6. Allow to air-dry in a cool and well- ventilated place.
Baking soda can also be used to whiten and sanitize your mattress. So, you stand a chance of benefiting maximally from using baking soda to deodorize your mattress.
To use essential oils for deodorizing a mattress, do these:
1. Remove bed cover, topper, or protector.
2. Mix baking soda with about 15-25 drops of essential oils. You can decide to use lemon, rosemary, tea tree, thieves, and eucalyptus essential oils.
3. Use a sifter or sieve to spray it evenly on the mattress.
4. Allow sitting for at least 12 hours.
5. Vacuuming the mattress again until the baking soda is no longer visible on it.
6. Leave to air-dry in a room with good ventilation.
Essential oils provide soothing fragrance for your mattress while deodorizing it. This is because they produce a pleasant and long-lasting scent after using them. It leaves an amazing impact on your mattress. It freshens it up with a strong and pleasant scent. This allows you to enjoy your sleep.
To use cornstarch for deodorizing your mattress, do the following:
1. Remove any covering on the mattress
2. Vacuum it, the sides, top, and bottom.
3. Mix equal part baking soda and cornstarch. You can as well, use only corn starch.
4. Use a sieve or sifter to spray it sparingly on your mattress. Ensure that it covers the surface evenly.
5. Leave to sit for about 12 hours.
6. Vacuum it off with a hand-held vacuum cleaner. You can attach an upholstery cleaner to it.
7. Allow to air-dry in a cool and well- ventilated place.
Corn starch is an effective deodorizer. It can be used as a substitute or complement while using baking soda. This is because it can absorb excess moisture and body oils from a mattress.
Video Title: How to Clean and Deodorize a Mattress
This video on how to deodorize a mattress
How to Prevent Odours from a Mattress
You can prevent your mattress from having odors by doing the following:
1. Regular washing and cleaning of bed covers and beddings.
2. General body Hygiene. This involves ensuring and maintaining a hygienic lifestyle.
3. Ensure proper positioning and placement of your mattress. The bed or wooden frame where the mattress is kept should be neat always.
4. Avoid spills from food and drinks.
5. Vacuum the mattress often. This will prevent the growth of dust mites, molds, and dirt on your mattress.
6. Sanitize your mattress at least twice in three months.
7. Make use of a mattress protector, if possible, a water-proof type. This will protect the mattress and as a result, increase its durability and lifespan.
8. Ensure proper ventilation. This will ensure that there is no moisture build-up in the mattress.
Having discussed extensively how to deodorize a mattress, it is, therefore, necessary, to always remove odors, whenever it is discovered.
Clean your mattress routinely to prevent the growth of germs, dust mites, mold, and allergens that can threaten your health and general well-being.
How to Deodorize a Mattress – Related FAQs
How do you refresh a mattress that smells?
You can refresh a mattress by doing the following:
1. Remove the bed cover, topper, or protector.
2. Mix baking soda with about 15-25 drops of essential oils. You can decide to use lemon, rosemary, tea tree, thieves, eucalyptus essential oils.
3. Use a sifter or sieve to spray it evenly on the mattress. Allow to sit for at least 2 hours.
4. Vacuum the mattress until the baking soda is no longer visible on it. Afterward, leave it to air dry in a room with good ventilation.
What Does Baking Powder Do to Your Mattress?
Baking soda protects a mattress from absorbing excess moisture. As a result, it prevents the growth and existence of molds, dust mites, and mildew in your mattress.
It is also known as bicarbonate of soda. It consists of chemical compounds that are effective for removing dust mites, dirt, germs, stains, and excess moisture from a mattress.
To remove odors from your mattress, sprinkle baking soda sparingly on it. Leave it to sit for about 1 hour or more. Then, vacuum it off.
How Do I Get Musty Smell Out of a Mattress?
You can get musty smell out of a mattress by following these simple steps:
- Remove mattress cover, topper, or protector
- Vacuum the mattress all-round. That is the sides, top, and bottom.
- Spray a mixture of warm water and vinegar sparingly on it
- Allow it to dry up
- Then, use a sieve or sifter to spray it sparingly on your mattress. You can still spray it without a sifter. Make sure it covers the surface evenly.
- Leave to sit for about 12 – 24 hours. This is because the longer it stays on the mattress, the more effective it is.
- Vacuum it off with a hand-held vacuum cleaner. You can attach an upholstery cleaner to it.
- Allow to air-dry in a cool and well- ventilated place.
This process helps to kill deep-seated dirt, germs, and odors from a mattress.
What Can I Spray on My Mattress to Clean and Deodorize it?
To clean your mattress, you can spray a mixture of equal parts of water and vinegar. Add a few drops of essential oils like lavender, eucalyptus, rosemary, or peppermint oil.
This combination is amazingly effective in cleaning stains, dirt, as well as, deodorizing your mattress. Vinegar is a disinfectant that can be used to kill germs. It is a mild acid that can break up icky build-ups.
It is readily available in supermarkets and household stores.
Why Does my Bed Smell So Badly?
Your bed smells so badly because of the accumulation of sweat, body oils, and millions of dead cells on it. While sleeping, the body releases these waste products from the body to the mattress.
Over time, if it is not thoroughly cleaned, they develop bad smells which makes it uncomfortable for you to sleep.
Also, if there is a spill of food, drinks, vomit, urine, or blood on your mattress. It can cause awful odors. This occurs when it is cleaned immediately.
Will Baking Soda Remove Urine Smell From a Mattress?
Baking soda can be used to remove urine odor from a mattress. You can do it by following these steps:
- Remove the bed cover or topper
- Use a mixture of equal part vinegar and water, then pour into the spray bottle.
- Spray and allow to settle on the surface of the mattress for 5 minutes.
- Wipe clean with a towel and allow it to dry.
- Sprinkle baking soda sparingly to absorb excess moisture
- Leave to sit for about 1 hour
- Vacuum off with a vacuum cleaner
- Allow air-drying in a cool and well-ventilated area.